Wednesday, March 1, 2017

THIS IS WHO WE SERVE


We are sorry for the delay in recent e-updates; however, from here on out our e-updates will be posted on this blog, along with pictures, videos and ways that you can pray for camp. Thank you again for your support of Gator Wilderness Camp and the many ways you continue to bless the boys and families that we serve in Southwest Florida.

................................................................................................................................................

I have been working as a family worker for just over a year now and I find it an honor to be a part of such a positive program as wonderful as the program Gator Wilderness Camp provides. I was made aware of Gator Wilderness many years ago. At that time, I thought I had an idea of what type of young men attended the camp. I am ashamed to say I thought it was made up of predominately punks or thugs that just needed a good ole fashion whooping. I am here to tell you I was terribly wrong. Now that I have been given a chance to interact with both the young men and their families, I have a completely new perspective. I see now what Gator Camp is faced with on a daily basis. Part of my job is being the first to take the calls from the desperate family members begging for help with their child. Many of the children’s parents have given up on them due to their own problems. Their schools have given up on them as well as society as a whole. Sometimes the call comes from not the parents not the grandparents but the GREAT Grandparents who have taken on the responsibility of a 10 year old boy because there was no one else to step up. The calls from adoptive parents that find out too late about the abuse, both sexual and physical, that the child had endured from being passed around from place to place before finding someone to give them a permanent home. Some of the young men have had parents who were so strung out on drugs they could not even tend to their basic needs for food not alone affection for days. I know that this comes across pretty heavy, but I felt it was important to make you aware of who we are serving at Gator camp and why. We have a saying at camp” It’s not your fault, but it is your problem.” Our team of Chiefs help these innocent children learn to trust people again and help them gain a better perspective on life through love, much patience and understanding. They teach them that they can rise above their circumstances no matter how dark they may seem. At Gator camp, we help the boys find their voice.

Jackie Brucker, Family Worker


         




1 comment:

  1. Great program you have and how it touches and changes the lives of the young boys that go through the program. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete